Q: How do I get rid of shin splints? Samantha W.
A: To really understand how to correct this problem you need to know what causes shin splints. Shin splints are inflammation to the lower leg caused by injury to the tendons. Generally, shin splints are caused by an increase in the distance or intensity of your workout. Shin splints are an overuse injury and are found most commonly in individuals that pronate their foot or to put it simply roll towards the inside of their foot when they walk or run.
How to prevent shin splints
– Perform Self-Massage Techniques using a Foam Roller
– Active Stretching
– Increase mileage and intensity of workouts incrementally
– Make sure you have shoes that support your foot
How to get rid of shin splints
– Stop running or performing the athletic event that is causing inflammation, until pain resides
– Anti-inflammatory medications
– Ice to decrease inflammation
– Perform self-massage techniques using a foam roller
– Stretch and strengthen ankle and lower leg
Here is a great exercise to do to decrease pronation of your foot when you run or walk. Notice the placement of the mat. The mat creates instability which activates the muscles that counter pronation.